International military sports
The Executive Office of the Netherlands Delegation to CISM (BIMS) organises and supports the Dutch military participation in and presentation during national and international military sports events.
The Netherlands is a founding member of the Conseil International de Sport Militaire (CISM), established in 1948. This worldwide organisation for military sports currently has 132 member countries, from across the continents. BIMS coordinates participation in national and CISM events. Thus, BIMS contributes both nationally and internationally to:
- the prestige and sporting image of the Netherlands armed forces;
- the CISM motto ‘Friendship through Sport’.
BIMS has the following tasks:
- the formation, management and commitment of national military sports teams;
- the organisation of international military championships and other sporting events in the Netherlands;
- stimulating the practice of sports at all levels and the individual coaching of top-level sportsmen and women within the Defence organisation.
- the coordination of the preparations for and execution and evaluation of National Military Championships.
- the coordination of the Defence Top-level Sports Selection, consisting of military personnel who have the potential to qualify for participation in the Olympic Games.