Research concerning military personnel who served in the Royal Netherlands Army
The Netherlands Institute of Military History (NIMH) only has few primary sources of information about military personnel of the army.
The following sources are available, however:
- officers' name and rank lists (1725-1989). The series also contains information on officers of the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army (KNIL).
- personnel documentation. That also includes information on officers serving in the army of the Dutch Republic (1576-1795).
- a limited number of service records of army officers.
For genealogical research into former military personnel born before 1900, you better contact the Central Bureau for Genealogy and the National Archives, both based in The Hague. There you will find:
- the collection of registers of air force personnel. Those registers contain the service records of personnel. The sources from the period until 1795 are rather limited both in terms of their number and their completeness.
- registers of military personnel of the former Royal Netherlands East Indies Army (KNIL).
The book 'Soldaten overzee' ('Soldiers overseas') can be particularly helpful in finding information about former Royal Netherlands East Indies Army (KNIL) personnel.
For information about former military personnel born after 1900, you may contact:
Ministry of Defence
Registration and Information on Ex-service Personnel Office
P.O. Box 7000
6460 NC Kerkrade
Requests for information must contain the date of birth of the person you are looking for. In addition, please include a copy of your identity paper to prove that you are related to that person.
For a service record of military personnel of the KNIL, born after 1900 you may contact:
Corporation Administration Indonesian Pensions
P.O. Box 1263
6400 BG Heerlen