The restructured Netherlands Coastguard Service is responsible for carrying out coastguard duties on behalf of 7 different Dutch ministries. Operational command of the Netherlands Coastguard Service is held by the Royal Netherlands Navy.
The Netherlands Antilles and Aruba Coastguard is a separate organisation operating under the auspices of the Minister of Defence and under the command of the Flag Officer Caribbean.
The tasks of the Coastguard include:
- Distress, emergency and safety radio traffic;
- Search and Rescue;
- Disaster response assistance and incident intervention;
- Maritime assistance;
- Vessel traffic services;
- Aids to navigation;
- Maritime traffic research.
2. Enforcement of law and order in the following context:
- General policing tasks;
- Customs control;
- Border protection;
- Upholding environmental, fisheries, mining and shipping laws.